What Do You Need To Know About Warning Road Signs?
If you’re driving on a road that has warning road signs, it’s important to know what they mean and what you need to do if you encounter one. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the different types of warning signs and provide a description of each. We’ll also provide tips on how to avoid getting caught by a warning sign and what to do if you do get caught. So whether you’re a new driver or an experienced one, this blog post is essential reading.
Road safety is extremely important as it helps in the prevention of accidents and injuries that take place on the road every day. Several road safety rules should be followed by everyone across the globe. This not only puts everyone on the road at risk but also the one driving at risk. This includes motorists, cyclists, and even pedestrians. This can put all their lives at risk and also make them prone to injuries. Above all, road accidents can cause road trauma for life. In 2021, 69,240 deaths were reported due to two-wheeler accidents on the road.
It is seen that most people lose their lives in the hospital after undergoing a road accident because they experience road trauma. Research says that approximately 400 road accidents take place daily in India. The death rate is severely high as well. It costs up to 3% of the annual Indian GDP. Road accidents cost a great deal of damage to the lives of others.
Road safety rules and regulations are conjured to help the general public stay safe. All the citizens of India must have enough exposure to the traffic rules. This also means that one should know the proper representation of each road warning sign.
If you’re not aware of the various road safety signs and their meaning, this article will help you understand the same. You will know everything about road safety, its importance, and what they denote.
Without further ado let’s get started!
What Are Warning Road Signs?
A warning road sign refers to a sign board that has a symbol representative of potential danger, hazard, obstacle, or condition ahead. The warning sign is an indicator that the road ahead requires your special attention. It is a way to alert the driver about a potential threat ahead.
Most drivers do not pay attention on the road which can lead to various accidents. This happens mostly at night when the visibility is low. Most of the road accidents took place between 6 PM to 9 PM. The number of accidents that took place during this period was about 20.2% of the total road accidents in India. About 81,410 out of
4,03,116 cases were reported ringing this time. Warning signs can prevent this.
The warning road signs are put up to create more law and order on the road. Imagine if a road is blocked or redirected due to potential danger and there is no sign to indicate that. It can result in the driver being uninformed and ultimately chaotic and angered at the situation.
The warning signs can be indicative of anything. From suggesting a detour to a broken road ahead, it can mean a lot of things. It suggests the driver reduce the speed, take a different road, or simply not move ahead. Every warning road sign has a special meaning. If you do not understand them, you will not be able to decode them quickly on the road. This can lead to a lot of complications for you on the road as well as for others.
If you want to avoid such chaos on the road, you should be extremely familiar with the signs and what they mean.
How To Identify a Road Warning Sign?
If you are unaware of the various road warning signs, then you may find it difficult to distinguish them on the road as well. To help you deal with such a situation, we will specify the various commonalities that every warning sign shares.
A road warning sign is shaped in an equilateral triangle that consists of a white background usually. The sign also has a thick border of a distinguished color like red. These are usually located on expressways or highways for the convenience of the drivers.
In other cases, it is usually made with a yellow background. It can also be replaced with an orange background. On the yellow background, the font or symbols are usually black. The signs can be both triangular and circular.
The highways are the prime spot for road accidents in India. As many as 1,22,204 cases of road accidents were reported on the National Highways of the country. Additionally, the State Highways recorded 96,451 road accident cases. About 50-60% of the people lost their lives in these accidents.
What is The Importance of Road Warning Signs?
The road warning signs are curated to maintain uniformity on the road. It is done to avoid traffic, chaos, or other issues on the road. They are created so that the specific requirements of the road are met.
It also protects drivers and passengers from any potential dangers or hazards on the road. It helps in restricting any potential chaos that can break out on the road. It also promotes uniformity as the signs mean the same to all regardless of any bias. It prevents road accidents at large.
The message should be passed in a way that is accessible to all.
What Are The Types of Road Signs?
There are a variety of road signs that you should follow in India. The most important is the traffic signs that are mandatory for everyone. Everyone should follow these rules to avoid a penalty or fee.
These warning signs are made for the smooth movement of vehicles, parking zone availability, the limit speed, honking zones, and so on.
- Stop Sign – For drivers to stop moving and not go ahead.
- No Parking – This means that parking is prohibited in the specified area. One should not go beyond it for parking.
- Horn Prohibited – This indicates that it is a honking-free zone and you should not honk in this area.
- Give Way – This indicates that you should give way to the traffic that comes from the right side of the road.
- Pedestrian Restricted – This indicates that pedestrians can not walk in the specified area. It is restricted to them.
- Barrier Ahead – It signifies that you will encounter an obstruction ahead. It can be tolled.
- School Ahead – It indicates that there is a school ahead so you need to be careful and slow while driving.
- Dangerous Dip – It indicates that a dangerous dip is forthcoming and you should be cautious.
- Hump – It informs about a hump ahead.
- Narrow Bridge – It informs you that a narrow bridge will be present on the bridge nearby.
- Narrow Road Ahead – It helps you understand that there is a narrow road ahead.
- Speed Limit – You need to follow the given speed limit in these areas.
- Left or Right-Hand Curve – It indicates that a right or left-hand curve lies ahead of you.
- No Stopping or Standing – It informs you that stopping or standing at this designated place is not allowed.
- Round About – This informs you about a possible circular road ahead.
- Pedestrian Crossing – It symbolizes that a crossing for pedestrians lies ahead. You can use it to cross the road.
- Left or Right Hair Pin Bend – This informs you that a sharp left or right turn awaits you.
The other type of road warning signs is s categorized as cautionary traffic signs. These signs are as important as the ones ahead. They symbolize any possible danger or issue ahead. You need to follow them diligently as they indicate a danger or threat to your life. These are:
- Falling Rocks – It is to make you aware of roads with falling stones. It urges you to take a different road or be extra careful on the road you take.
- Ferry – It indicates that ferry services are available at the designated area.
- Men at Work – It simply means that construction is ongoing on the road ahead and you should slow down while driving.
- Cycle Crossing – It indicates that the road in front of you is meant for cyclists and you should be cautious around them.
- Cattle – It informs you about the possibility of cattle on the road ahead.
- Steep Ascent – It informs you that there is a steep ascent nearby.
- Steep Descent – It indicates a steep descent very close to your spot of driving.
- Road Widens – It informs the driver that there is a wide road ahead and you can drive well from there.
- Slippery Road – This can indicate that the road ahead is slippery due to snow, rain, mist, or any other factor which makes it difficult to drive or walk upon.
The next category of road warning signs is called informatory road safety signs. As the name suggests, it helps drivers navigate long distances and give useful information about the road ahead. It can indicate the presence of petrol pumps, hospitals, schools, and so on.
- Parking Lot (Cars) – It informs you about a nearby parking spot for cars.
- Park this Side – This indicates where you should park your car on the road. It indicates the specific side.
- Resting Place – It informs you about a possible resting or relaxing place close to you.
- Eatery – This tells you how you are close to a cafe, restaurant, or diner.
- Public Telephone – It shows that a public telephone is present very close to you.
- Hospital – It informs you about a hospital or clinic nearby.
- No Through Road – It shows how you have no way to exit the existing road.
- First Aid Post – It indicates that a first aid facility or clinic is close to you.
- Petrol Pump – It makes you aware of a petrol pump nearby.
These were the important traffic safety signs that you should know about in detail to be safe on the road.
Road safety is extremely crucial for anyone who uses the road. It will save you a lot of time, effort, and money that you have to spend in case things go wrong. Most road accidents take place due to the carelessness or distractions encountered by the driver or the pedestrian. The first and foremost thing is to follow the traffic rules. The second thing is the proper education on road safety for the young and the old.
Only when all this is followed can we have safe and secure roads for ourselves!